<< return to Pixycam.com

[solved] Procedure to update R1.3 to be compatible with Mindstorms

Hello all,

a (long!) time ago I backed the Pixycam project. I had lots of fun experimenting with the hardware at that time. Lacking an actual long-term application the hardware ended up tucked safely away in a drawer, in one of those boxes labelled ‘for later use’.

Many moons later my son seems to have inherited my interest in all that is electronics so we’re looking into acquiring a set of Lego Mindstorms EV3 to stimulate his interests a bit more :slight_smile:

Much to my pleasure I read that there is firmware and software support to couple the Pixycam to the Mindstorms system. All of a sudden this already cool platform can be equipped with actual vision and wait, I had this box in my drawer… Time to open it up and prepare everything for the arrival of the EV3 set!

I read on the wiki that v1.3 needs a hardware update to be compatible with the Mindstorms electrical interface.

Just to be sure: the only hardware modification I need to make is to replace the R14 and R15 to be 82k resistors, to load up the latest firmware 2.0.19 in my Pixy and configure the I2C output to be Lego I2C, address 0x54 and baudrate 19200 bps.

Is this correct?

The reason I want to doublecheck is that the wiki entry where I found the information on the difference between v1.3 and v1.3A dates from 2015 and that I did not find any ‘success stories’ in the forum from people who made the hardware update. I just want to be sure I don’t fry either sides of the electronics when I connect the PixyCam to the soon-to-arrive EV3.

Thanks a lot,
Lieven.

1 Like

Hello,
Hey! An original backer :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Yes, you are correct – the only hardware modifications you need to make is to make R15 and R15 82K and you should be good to go. :slight_smile:

https://docs.pixycam.com/wiki/doku.php?id=wiki:v1:hooking_up_pixy_to_lego_mindstorms

Edward

2 Likes

Hello Edward,

thanks for getting back to me with the confirmation! I’ll proceed with making the changes and I’m looking forward in adding the Pixy to the EV3 as an extra sensor :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Lieven.

1 Like