<< return to Pixycam.com

My own image processing algorithm

Hi all, I would like to know is it possible to modify firmware in a way that I would be able to just get a buffer or something like that of just raw data from camera and process it somehow? Because I need some kind of line-tracking but with additional features. Or I guess using already present line-tracking algorithm but with additional processing of received frame would be ok too.

Hi, can you say a bit more about what additional features you’re trying to get?

It’s not possible to use the Pixy for both line tracking and color connected components simultaneously…I don’t believe a firmware modification would change this. You can switch between them rapidly but depending on your application, this may not work out.

Thanks,
Jesse

Yeah, I have read about that, but I don’t want to have both line tracking and color connected components. Besides line tracking I need to recognize some (simple) figures/shapes like X or square or something like that, so I would like to do additional processing of receiving frames. Therefore I would like to know if it is possible to analyze incoming data. From what I understand line tracking algorithm analyzes frames from camera row by row, so I guess I could just write some additional code there. Therefore it would suffice if You could tell me where exactly that row-analyzing happens.

The easiest way to do this, if you have the ability to pick what figure you’re recognizing, is to use the built-in barcode detection capabilities. More on that here: https://docs.pixycam.com/wiki/doku.php?id=wiki:v2:line_quickstart#barcodes

Otherwise, the firmware SDK group is here, for help modding the firmware: firmware SDK

Cheers,
Jesse

And is it possible to use some pixy functionality to recognize arcs? Because with line-tracking when pixy sees e.g. corner, the line is from the beginning of the arc to the end and doesn’t inform about curvature of the corner.

Cheers,
Dominik

Hello Dominik,
That’s correct, Pixy doesn’t assess or measure the amount of curvature of the line and report it. (sorry)

Can you describe what you are trying to do, and why you need this information? This will give us some good context.

Edward

Oh I just need to have a precise information about how the lines look like because if there is a corner I might not follow line correctly if it skips curvature of it. Well, I guess I will have to modify firmware somehow.

Thanks,
Dominik