<< return to Pixycam.com

All Data from PIXY2 SPI?

Hey Walt,

please try changing your serial ports in the “Tools/Serial port” menu. Or, if you’ve got anything plugged into pins 0 or 1 on Arduino, unplug it until you’ve uploaded the sketch.

Cheers,
Jesse

Hi,

Nothing plugged into the Arduino UNO except the USB cable to the PC on COM5 …

Error Msgs;

Arduino: 1.8.12 (Windows 10), Board: “Arduino Uno”

Sketch uses 7494 bytes (23%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.
Global variables use 508 bytes (24%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1540 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
An error occurred while uploading the sketch
avrdude: ser_open(): can’t open device “\.\COM14”: The system cannot find the file specified.

This report would have more information with
“Show verbose output during compilation”
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Something is up with the serial port. When the IDE is trying to connect in order to upload the sketch to Arduino, it can’t find the port. Check your serial ports in the “Tools/Serial port” menu.

Hi,

I’d rather get back to the PICAXE and BASIC programming. The UNO does the “BLINK” program okay, so I’m sure it works okay with my PC, but I need the camera to work with my PICAXE chip.

Hey Walt, I don’t know what the “BLINK” program is. We’re trying to test and make sure Pixy is working normally with regard to sending data over serial. Since the Arduino is a known factor for us, it would help if you could try the “hello world” code we provide in the Pixy Arduino library and verify that everything is working correctly.

I understand that you are working with the PICAXE. Since we don’t offer direct support for that controller, we are doing our best to help out in whatever way we can.

Thanks,
Jesse

Hi,

I tried the LED “BLINK” program to be sure the Arduino UNO was working and it does work. But I cannot get the PIXY2 to work with the Arduino UNO. I did manage to get the software loaded, and made sure the com port speeds were as directed by the software.

OK, thanks. What’s not working with Pixy2 and Arduino? What are you trying?

Getting Pixy2 and Arduino working together is a good litmus test for other connections.

Thanks,
Jesse

Hi,

Okay, got back to the project and did it step by step taking print screens to show what’s going on;

I have the Arduino connected to USB to Windows 10
I have the PIXY2 connected bia the gray cable to the Arduino end connector … Red 1 towards Digital side RX <-0
I also have the PIXY2 connected via USB to Windows 10

First set of images is the PIXY2 camera settings;

Next is the PIXY2 wiki with the wrong file name for the libraries;

Next is showing the results at the 115,200 BAUD rate;

Next is setting both the PIXY2 and the Arduino to 9600 BAUD;

Pretty much I’m not getting any communications.

I do not know what to try next.

Hello,
Unless there is something like plugging in the cable backwards into Arduino (see https://docs.pixycam.com/wiki/doku.php?id=wiki:v2:my_arduino_isn-27t_receiving_data_from_pixy) it does appear that the SPI port on Pixy is not working.

We will contact you.

Edward

Hi,

Here’s the connection;

Hey Walt, I’m contacting you directly.

Hi,

I got the camera today, hooked it up and yeah, it’s working with the Arduino UNO.

Now I need to figure out how to get it to communicate with the PICAXE 28X2 module;

I plan to start with using the hserout and hserin pins … then when it’s working I can switch to the serin and serout pins after the whole program is working in a robot.

First question is which PIXY2 PINs to connect to the PICAXE 28X2 module?
Second question is what baud rate do I set for the PICAXE 28X2 module?

Hooray, glad it’s working!

The answer to your questions depends on which protocol you’re using. Please see our porting guide for more info: https://docs.pixycam.com/wiki/doku.php?id=wiki:v2:porting_guide

Scroll down a bit on that page for a pinout diagram of Pixy2.

Thanks,
Jesse

Hi,

I want to use serial protocol … start with 9600 BAUD

I could use the hspi pins 9 and 10 on the PICAXE 28X2 module

I will be using Female to Female jumper wires that plug onto male and female headers like on the PIXY2 camera.

I’m thinking a Blue wire from PIXY2 PIN1 to PICAXE 28X2 module PIN 9
and Green wire from PIXY2 PIN4 to PICAXE 28X2 module PIN 10
and GND wire from PIXY2 PIN6 to PICAXE 28X2 module GND

The USB port can power the PIXY2 while my RoboGuts™ circuit board with the PICAXE 28X2 module is powered 5V from a 6V wallwart a.c. adapter.

If you can verify these connections should be okay, then I can take the next step.

Hello,
We haven’t used the Picaxe, so we can’t say that the connections are correct.

In general, you can power Pixy2 via USB while powering your controller (Arduino, etc) from another source. Keep the grounds common (usually through the communication cable) and keep the power signals (+ power) separate…

Edward

hspi sdi = Input and hspi sdo = Output … They are simply Serial Peripheral Interface (SPI) pins on the PICAXE chips …

I use just 3 jumper wires from the PIXY2 to the PICAXE;

PIXY2                                                PICAXE 28X2 Module

SPI MISO, UART Rx PIN1 to hspi sdo PIN10
SPI MOSI, UART Tx PIN4 to hspi sdi PIN9
GND to GND

USB Power                                     RoboGuts™ circuit board Power

Hello,
We can’t verify the specifics for the PicAxe board, but it looks to us like you connected things correctly.

Edward

Hi, It’s a RoboGuts™ circuit board with a PICAXE 28X2 module … I can pull that module off and use the ATMEGA chip from the Arduino UNO on the RoboGuts™ circuit board or any other one of thousands of chips on the RoboGuts™ circuit board. I designed the board to be the smartest, most versatile and yes, it’s smaller than an Arduino UNO hobby board around.

But my project is to get the PIXY2 working with a PICAXE 28X2 module and PICAXE BASIC.